Met With A Car Accident? Know How To Claim Insurance
Filing an insurance claim after a car accident in India involves a series of steps that require attention to detail and adherence to the insurer. Dealing with a car accident is nerve-wracking. However, the appropriate knowledge to navigate the insurance claim process can help alleviate some of that stress. Therefore, to ensure a smooth process and successful reimbursement, follow these essential steps to claim car insurance after an accident in India:
Auto Insurance Is A Necessity: Step-by-step Guide To Claim Car Insurance After An Accident
- Safety First: Immediately after the accident, ensure the safety of yourself, your passengers, and others involved. In case of any injury, seek medical aid promptly. Retain all medical records, bills, and receipts for inclusion in your claim. Move your vehicle to a safe spot to prevent further accidents or traffic disruptions. Now, turn on hazard lights and if necessary, call emergency services.
- Report the Authorities: You must file a First Information Report (FIR) with the local police in case of injuries, fatalities, or significant damages. The FIR serves as an official record of the accident and will be required to strengthen your claim.
- Gather Information and Document the Scene: The next essential step to claiming car insurance after an accident is to record the evidence from the accident scene. Gather all the relevant information- the names, contact details, driver’s license information, and vehicle registration numbers. Also, collect information from any witnesses present at the accident site. Additionally, take clear photographs of the accident scene, the damaged vehicles, the surroundings, license plates, and any visible injuries. These photographs will serve as crucial visual evidence for your claim.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Communicate the accident to your insurance company as quickly as possible. Remember, this is one of the most crucial steps to claim car insurance after an accident. Many insurance companies have a helpline number that operates 24/7 for immediate assistance. Many insurance policies have a time limit for reporting accidents. Hence, provide accurate details and complete information about the accident and follow their instructions on the next steps.
- File a Claim: The insurance company will provide a claim form to you. Include all details about the accident, the vehicles involved, the extent of damage, injuries sustained, and other relevant information. Please fill it out accurately and truthfully, as this form captures essential details about the accident and initiates the claims process.
- Submit Documents: Along with the claim form, you’ll need to submit supporting documents. These include a copy of your driving license, the FIR, vehicle registration, a copy of the policy, photographs, and any other documents the insurance company requests. Thus, submitting legal and correct documents is among the vital steps to claim car insurance after an accident in India.
Crucial Steps To Claim Car Insurance After An Accident- survey and inspection, repairs, final settlement
- Survey and Assessment: The insurance company may appoint a surveyor to inspect your vehicle. They might have tie-ups with authorized workshops or surveyors who will assess the extent of the damages and estimate repair costs.
- Ensure that your vehicle remains accessible for inspection. Also, cooperate with the surveyor and provide all the necessary information they require.
- Repair Process: Post assessment your insurer will authorize repairs. They might have a network of cashless garages where you can have your car repaired, without paying upfront (except for the deductible/excess, if applicable). Alternatively, you can choose a garage and claim reimbursement for the repair costs later.
- Claim Settlement: Review the repairs thoroughly before signing off on the work. If there are no discrepancies, the insurance company will settle the claim amount according to the terms of your policy. The amount could be the complete repair cost or a partial amount based on the policy coverage and terms. Also, note that this amount varies on the policy type, the damage, and deductibles. Once your claim gets approved, the insurance company will settle the agreed-upon amount. However, the final settlement may involve negotiation, especially for complex cases.
- Follow-Up: Keep in touch with your insurance company for updates on the claim processing. In case of delays or issues with the claim settlement, use the claim reference number for trouble-free communication.
- Claim Payout: The insurance company will disburse the claim amount directly to your bank account through electronic transfer or by issuing a cheque.
- Claim Rejection or Dispute: If your claim gets rejected or you disagree with the settlement amount, you can escalate the matter with your insurance company’s customer service department. If the issue remains unresolved, you can approach the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) or Consumer Courts for resolution.
- No Claim Bonus (NCB): If you haven’t made any claims during the previous policy period, you might be eligible for a No Claim Bonus (NCB) discount on your next policy renewal. However, ensure to inform the insurance company so that they can adjust your premium accordingly.
To claim car insurance after an accident in India requires a systematic approach, attention to detail, thorough documentation, and timely communication with your insurance company. By following these steps diligently and promptly, you can streamline the process and ensure receiving the rightful compensation. Remember that the process might vary depending on your insurance company and the specific policy you hold. So, it’s crucial to thoroughly understand your policy documents and contact your insurer for guidance. Also, be honest and proactive throughout the process. This will increase the likelihood of a successful insurance claim after a car accident in India.
- How can I claim car insurance after an accident in India?
You need to submit a copy of your driving license, the FIR, vehicle registration, a copy of the policy, repair estimates, bills, photographs, and any other documents the insurance company requests.
- Why do car insurance claims rejected?
Each insurance company has its terms and conditions. If you violate any of these specified terms your claim may get rejected.
- What are some of the best car insurance companies in India?
Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance, HDFC ERGO Car Insurance, Kotak Mahindra Car Insurance, ICICI Lombard, and SBI Car Insurance are some of the best Indian car insurance companies.